ADSM-L

Re: Problem backing up files with umlauts with Debian Linux

2006-11-02 09:41:58
Subject: Re: Problem backing up files with umlauts with Debian Linux
From: Rainer Schöpf <rainer.schoepf AT PROTEOSYS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 15:39:51 +0100
I haven't tried this on 64bit Debian, only on Suse 10.0 (x86-64).

I found by experimentation that
 a) sometimes setting LC_ALL helps,
 b) you have to make sure that you don't use utf8.

Have you tried this:

LOCALE=de_DE@euro
LANG=$LOCALE ; export LANG
LC_ALL=$LOCALE ; export LC_ALL
LC_CTYPE=$LOCALE ; export LC_CTYPE

Verify the locale settings for the scheduler process with

  ps auxwwe | grep dsm | grep -v grep

<rant>
The real problem, of course, is the concept of applying locale to
filenames, ie interpreting them differently in different locales. But that
is a flaw in the locale system itself, not in the programs that have to
deal with it.
</rant>

Regards,
  Rainer

On Thu, 2 Nov 2006, Hermann Frasch wrote:

 > Hi,
 >
 > Richard Sims wrote:
 >
 > > On Oct 31, 2006, at 9:03 AM, Hermann Frasch wrote:
 > >
 > > > ANS4042E Object name 'object_path' contains one or more unrecognised
 > > > characters and is not valid.
 > >

 > > Hermann -
 > >
 > > Go to the TSM Support Page and search on
 > >
 > >    "contains unrecognized symbols for current locale"
 > >
 > > for the more common message on this problem, which yields more search
 > > results.  Particularly see Technote 1158642 for a locales library
 > > issue, which *might* affect Debian, or Debian may have an issue
 > > similar to SUSE.  I would also verify that the dsmc process is
 > > actually picking up the right locale information.  You might also try
 > > a test backup with LANG=C and see if any improvement.
 > >
 > >    Richard Sims
 > >
 > I've already searched through the  TSM Support Page on the locale issue
 > back and forth. The technotes are mostly rather misleading, as setting
 > LANG=en_US or de_DE or  even C
 > does not suffice. The codepage for filenames is actually set by
 > the environment variable LC_CTYPE.
 > The customer who reported the problem followed my recommendations
 > for the settings and is even using my startup-script for the scheduler,
 > which contains the settings
 > export LANG=en_US
 > export LC_CTYPE=en_US
 > just before "dsmc schedule" is called.
 > But on his 64-Bit Debian Linux, the settings don't seem to work.
 >
 > Regards
 > Hermann
 >
 > --
 > Hermann Frasch               Informationssysteme und Serverbetrieb
 > Rechenzentrum
 > Universitaet Stuttgart               Tel: ++49-711-685-65952
 > Allmandring 30                       Fax: ++49-711-682357
 > 70550 Stuttgart                      www.rus.uni-stuttgart.de

ProteoSys AG
Carl-Zeiss-Straße 51
55129 Mainz

Dr. Rainer Schöpf
Leiter Software/Softwareentwicklung

Mail:   rainer.schoepf AT proteosys DOT com
Phone:  +49-(0)6131-50192-41
Fax:    +49-(0)6131-50192-11
WWW:    http://www.proteosys.com/