ADSM-L

Re: Slow/serial database reads?

2006-10-20 11:46:15
Subject: Re: Slow/serial database reads?
From: Jason Lee <english AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 08:45:22 -0700
Hey Alan, and anyone interested.

You say you peak out at about 190-200 TPS at peak. Is that a per disk
number, filesystem or database period? I'm trying to get to the
bottom of this serial versus parallel database access thing, and I'm
having a hard time doing it. As I mentioned, if TSM only does serial
access to the database, then with the biggest, baddest array in the
world with an average latency of 3ms you're only going to see ~300 IO/
s per second. So, basically, we may as well put the databases on a
couple of IDE drives with a 3Ware RAID controller from Fry's and IBM
can keep their monster arrays they are selling to everyone 'cause
"the database needs spindles".

Thoughts?

Jason