ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli storage manager migration/backup

2006-10-19 16:22:51
Subject: Re: Tivoli storage manager migration/backup
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:21:59 -0600
In that environment, then, what does it all mean?  You never have all of
your files backed up into any one location at any one time anyway!  So
it becomes a point-in-time thing: at this point in time, everything is
as good as it can possibly be...

For Windows clients, try the journaling option.  That might help you
process the file spaces faster (by not needing to scan the file system).

Any successive backup stg operation picks up the files that were missed
during the last backup stg operation.  Nothing can drop through the
cracks.  At some point you will have all the files in the copy pool.
Except in your environment where files seem to be constantly arriving.
In that case, I think you need to stop worrying about it as there is
nothing you can do about it and it will only make you crazy anyway.

And remember: if a file on one of your clients changes a second after
you backed it up, you don't have a backup of it.

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO