ADSM-L

TSM system migration planning

2006-10-04 13:21:15
Subject: TSM system migration planning
From: Larry Peifer <Larry.Peifer AT SCE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:00:36 -0700
TSM system migration

We're in the beginning planning stages for a major transition in our TSM
configuration.  We've purchased all new hardware, Host and tape libraries
and disk sub-system; so, I'm  looking into the best practices for making
the transition with as little disruption to  ongoing production operations
as possible.  Any and all experiences from fellow TSM'ers is  appreciated.

Backup window runs from 6pm to 6am.
Daily TSM Administration jobs, expiration / migration / dbbackups /
prepare runs from  6am-4pm.
Data to migrate totals about 25TBytes.

======EXISTING CONFIGURATION

All tapes are in libraries at all times - we have no tapes offline.

TSM Host:  One AIX p650 with 32G memory hosting a number of heavily used
Oracle databases,  TSM server and disk pools, and all tape libraries
connected via SAN fabric.

TSM Server version 5.3.1
2G fibre channel to Disks via SAN switch (zoned) is used for storage pools
and large raw  logical volumes for the Oracle databases.
1G fibre channel to 4 Tape Libraries via SAN switch (zoned)

Onsite tapes libraries
IBM 3583 with 4 SCSI LTO-1 drives and 40 tapes used for only AIX and
Oracle node data.
IBM 3583 with 6 fibre channel LTO-2 drives and 60 LTO-2 tapes only Windows
and Lotus node  data.

Remote tapes libraries
IBM 3583 with 4 SCSI LTO-1 drives and 40 tapes used for only AIX and
Oracle node data.
IBM 3583 with 6 fibre channel LTO-2 drives and 60 LTO-2 tapes used for
only Windows and  Lotus node data.

Once per day each Onsite tape stgpool is copied to the remote tape stgpool
via 'backup  stgpool' process.  Each library is a single stgpool.

Clients:
95 Windows NT and 2000 servers with TSM 5.0, 5.02, 5.03 data access via
100M ethernet and  some Gb-ethernet.
10 TDP for Lotus Notes via Gb-ethernet
12 IBM AIX 5.3 MR4 with TSM 5.3.x via 1Gb-fibre channel
1  IBM AIX 4.3.3.x server with TSM 4.3.x via 100Mb ethernet
15 user managed Oracle Database backups via 1Gb-fibre channel
  (not using TDP for Oracle nor RMAN)

======NEW CONFIGURATION

TSM Host: AIX P520 with 8G memory only used for TSM backup server and disk
pools and all  tape libraries connected via new dedicated SAN fabric.

SAN disks available for storage pool is 4.3T

TSM Server version: 5.3.most recent
4G Fibre Channel to storage pool Disks via SAN switch (zoned)
4G Fibre Channel to 2 Tape Libraries via SAN switch (zoned)

Onsite tape library
IBM 3584 with 10 Fibre Channel LTO-2 drives and 140 tapes

Offsite tape library
IBM 3584 with 10 Fibre Channel LTO-2 drives and 140 tapes

Clients all stay the same with two major exceptions;
12 IBM AIX 5.3 MR4 nodes with TSM 5.3.x via Gb-Ethernet rather then
1Gb-Fibre Channel
15 user managed Oracle Database backups via Gb-Ethernet rather then
1Gb-Fibre Channel
  (not using TDP for Oracle nor RMAN)

Turn on Collocation? Since we want to maintain tape separation for
AIX/Oracle and  Windows/Lotus data it seems like at least 2 collocation
groups are need for the primary  sequential stgpool.

===============QUESTIONS

What is the easiest, fastest, least disruptive method to move data from
the 2 onsite tape  libraries to the 1 new onsite library?

One goal is to NOT disrupt the nightly backup window.  Deferring the
administrative window  would be ok.

The migration process could be done during 1 8-hour work window or it
could be done over any  number of days as long as daily backup and
recovery is still available.

It would be possible to connect one new 3584 with a few of its tape drives
active without salvaging nics and Gbics from the existing configuration
and
thereby have both old and part of the new system active in parallel.

Moving all onsite LTO-1 and LTO-2 tapes to the new 3584 library is another
option; and then  aging out the LTO-1's via 'move data' perhaps.

Any methods and trade-offs for this would be appreciated.

And then there is the issue of getting our data from the primary
sequential storage pools to  the copy storage pools in the offsite
library.  I figure to just use 'backup storage pool'  to make that happen.
 The 2 libraries are connected via 2 4Gb-Fibre Channel SAN switches.   The
question is how will collocation on the primary affect this and will using
many processes  help or hurt future recovery processing from the copy
pools?

Thanks for your time,
Larry Peifer
AIX / Oracle / TSM System Administrator