ADSM-L

Re: STGPOOL on Netapp

2006-09-23 03:59:27
Subject: Re: STGPOOL on Netapp
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 03:21:57 -0400
I have seen sequential READ throughput as low as 8MB/sec on a fibre-connected
NetApp. (sorry I don't remember which model it was).

With your setup, there could be several different problems.

On the format, you are writing about 17MB/sec, but that's going over the
network once, from your TSM server to the NetApp.

On the client backup, you are going over the network twice - from the client to
the TSM server, then from the TSM server to the NetApp.

So you could have network issues on either/both legs, AND issues with NetApp
performance.  My understanding is that you can do some tuning in the way you
lay out your RAID sets on the NetApp - you want to get as many disks spinning
at once as possible to improve performance.  But you can also outrun the
ability of the NetApp to purge its cache.

You may have to do a LOT of testing and configuring with the NetApp to get
improvements.  For your testing, try using a TSM DB backup or an EXPORT, so
that you are going over the network only once for your comparison tests.  You
might want to open an incident with your NetApp support to get their ideas of
the best way to optimize throughput.