ADSM-L

Re: BMR - unlike hardware

2006-09-22 15:43:57
Subject: Re: BMR - unlike hardware
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:42:59 -0700
Recovery of Windows to dissimilar hardware is possible.  Here are some keys.

  1) There is a process called an "In-Place" upgrade. This is a process that is
run by booting to windows installation media after a server has been recovered.
Then you go through the optoins as if to install Windows. However, after you
press F8 to agree to the licenese agreement a new page will be displayed that
will say "Windows is installed at C:\Windows" Do you want to repair it?  You
then need to press "R" and it will run through an install that will
re-enumerate all the haredware but leave all the hardware in tact. Effectivly
the restore was only used bring down the software compenents of the system and
registry after the "In-Place" upgrade is done.

  2) When performing a restore of a Windows server, especially to different
hardware, it is very important that the server be loaded with the exact same
service pack. So if you are recovering Windows 2003 Sp1 you need to build a
server with Windows 2003 SP1. Then you start the restore, then finally you must
have a CD with SP1 slipstreamed into installation image on the CD.

  Here is one link you that refers to the in-place upgrade. Go to this link and
search for "in-place".
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;263532&Product=win2000

  Also, if you need help creating a Windows bootable CD with the service pack
slipstreamed into it here is a link to nLite http://www.nliteos.com/. That is
just one of the many things this product can do.

  I have used this process to restore to completely different sytem board types
(ACPI to MPS). Completly different vendors, DELL to IBM, IBM to HP and HP to
DELL. Different CPU's, single to dual, quad to single.  It works every time
because the "in-place" upgrade basically ensures that settings for the current
hardware replaces all the settings in the restored system and registry for the
old hardware.

"Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM> wrote:
  As it relates to trying to restore a system to "unlike hardware" what sort
of results does anyone have they might like to share. I've got some folks
wanting to push this requirement on me and, since I have never tested this,
I'm not comfortable with it.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email: geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.