ADSM-L

Re: co-location question

2006-09-21 13:23:10
Subject: Re: co-location question
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 11:22:25 -0600
Perhaps colo by group instead...

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
719-266-8777
lipp AT storserver DOT com

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU] On Behalf Of
John Bremer
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 11:13 AM
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Subject: [ADSM-L] co-location question

Greetings,

We are backing up several NetApp NAS filers using TSM NDMP capabilities.
We have about 700 TB backup data.  Aside from issues with TOCs, copy
pools and some others (which I am confident TSM development is working
to remedy !), we're pretty happy with the service.

Since most NAS volumes are quite large, some multi-terabyte, we have
been co-locating by filespace.  I wonder if anyone out there is
co-locating their NDMP backups by node ?

The reason I want to do this is to break up some filer volumes into
(many, like 100's) virtualfsmapping(s).  This would require a tape for
every virtualfsmapping, and I would like to minimize the number of tapes
per node, but do not want to scatter differentials over too many tapes,
which I suspect will be the case, if I co-locate by node.  We're using
STK 9940B drives, and getting around 300GB per cartridge.

Thanks for any comments.

Regards, John Bremer