ADSM-L

offtopic: AIX FTP/TELNET question

2006-09-19 02:29:42
Subject: offtopic: AIX FTP/TELNET question
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:28:48 -0700
Sorry for asking this on the ADSM list but I know a lot of folks using AIX
can help me with this. I'm having an FTP and Telnet issue and as far as I
can tell it is not AIX related.

I am trying to access 2 of my TSM servers in a fire walled off area. FTP and
telnet login screens were typically sub second screens but now are taking
right around 75 seconds when using reflections. Command line ftp fails so my
jobs are not working. Command line FTP eventually comes up and says
connected but then it also says the connection is closed by the remote host.
This happens right at 60 seconds. Reflections FTP takes 75 seconds but
allows me to log in and transfer files. Dos command line telnet also takes
75 seconds but works. Reflections Telnet work the same way.

This phenomenon started last week and, as typically happens, I'm told it's
my problem and nothing network related. Just so I don't go down and rip
someone's head off when I shouldn't, would some please tell me I'm wrong and
where to fix this if it actually is on my end? Is it possible it is having a
hard time trying to find a route or is this a setting on my side that can be
changed I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com