ADSM-L

Tapes getting opened and closed hundreds of times during disk-bac kup

2006-09-14 11:50:24
Subject: Tapes getting opened and closed hundreds of times during disk-bac kup
From: Jim Hatfield <jim.hatfield AT KDMC DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:47:36 -0400
Hello All,

I have been working on this a while, and I am at my wit's end:

Backing up (on 5.3 server) to a stgpool of disk.  There are NO copy stgpools
defined for the disk, although I did try that at one time.

As any client backs up, along with writing to the disk stgpool, it also
opens and closes an LTO tape in my main tape pool hundreds of times...open
close...open close...open close...

Further symptoms:  The backup process is apparently writing as it should to
disk stgpool BUT also to my "Next Storage Pool", SL500.  I see NO reason for
this behavior.

If Tivoli cannot mount a tape in the SL500, the client backup will not
continue...it will just wait for media.  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.  I have even restarted the Tivoli server process to reload the
configs, but no change.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

==============DISK STORAGE POOL==================.
           Storage Pool Name : WINDSK-SAN
            Storage Pool Type : Primary
            Device Class Name : DISK
           Estimated Capacity :  350 G
           Space Trigger Util : 0.9
                     Pct Util : 0.9
                     Pct Migr : 0.9
                  Pct Logical : 100
                 High Mig Pct : 80
                  Low Mig Pct : 20
              Migration Delay : 1
           Migration Continue : Yes
          Migration Processes : 1
        Reclamation Processes :
            Next Storage Pool : SL500
         Reclaim Storage Pool :
       Maximum Size Threshold : No Limit
                       Access : Read/Write
                  Description : DISK POOL ON FLX380
            Overflow Location :
        Cache Migrated Files? : No
                   Collocate? :
        Reclamation Threshold :
    Offsite Reclamation Limit :
Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed :
Number of Scratch Volumes Used :
Delay Period for Volume Reuse :
       Migration in Progress? : No
         Amount Migrated (MB) : 149,966.016
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds) : 2,821
     Reclamation in Progress? :
Last Update by (administrator) : ADMIN
        Last Update Date/Time : 9/14/06 10:46:06 AM EDT
     Storage Pool Data Format : Native
         Copy Storage Pool(s) :
      Continue Copy on Error? :
                     CRC Data : No
             Reclamation Type :
=============TAPE STORAGE POOL=================
            Storage Pool Name : SL500
            Storage Pool Type : Primary
            Device Class Name : LTO3GEN
           Estimated Capacity :  81,495 G
           Space Trigger Util :
                     Pct Util : 6.3
                     Pct Migr : 11.1
                  Pct Logical : 99.4
                 High Mig Pct : 90
                  Low Mig Pct : 70
              Migration Delay : 0
           Migration Continue : Yes
          Migration Processes : 1
        Reclamation Processes : 1
            Next Storage Pool :
         Reclaim Storage Pool :
       Maximum Size Threshold : No Limit
                       Access : Read/Write
                  Description : sl500
            Overflow Location :
        Cache Migrated Files? :
                   Collocate? : No
        Reclamation Threshold : 60
    Offsite Reclamation Limit :
Maximum Scratch Volumes Allowed : 99
Number of Scratch Volumes Used : 11
Delay Period for Volume Reuse :  0 Day(s)
       Migration in Progress? : No
         Amount Migrated (MB) : 0
Elapsed Migration Time (seconds) : 0
     Reclamation in Progress? : No
Last Update by (administrator) : ADMIN
        Last Update Date/Time : 7/24/06 2:27:08 PM EDT
     Storage Pool Data Format : Native
         Copy Storage Pool(s) :
      Continue Copy on Error? :
                     CRC Data : No
             Reclamation Type : Threshold

Jim Hatfield
IT Manager
Kings Daughters Medical Center
606-327-4096
jim.hatfield AT kdmc DOT net <mailto:jim.hatfield AT kdmc DOT net>

unauthorized and may be illegal.