ADSM-L

Question on managing Windows directory structure backups

2006-08-30 12:05:05
Subject: Question on managing Windows directory structure backups
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:02:50 -0400
I don't have much background or experience with the MS-Windows
filesystem and directory config, so I felt I'd better ask the more
experienced people here how to approach this . . .

I have a Windows fileserver that I have co-located by filesystem (drive
letter) both on-site and in the off-site copy pool. But three of the
drives have minimal activity AND are not on the priority list for D/R.
Because of the minimal activity, my server is going nutz recaliming the
off-site tapes as soon as they get checked out (the 'bib' drive uses
1.2% of an LTO-1 tape).

I'd like to move these three drives to a non-colocated storage pool -
and that looks easy enough. But how do I handle the directory structure?
I can't see any way to split the directory structure to multiple
management classes. Do I just bite the bullet and point dirmc at the
non-colocated pool? Micro-management of the copy pool tapes is not an
option unless I have *total* control over the micro-management (these
four drives to this tape, and one tape each for the other four drives).
We run TSM in a 'configure, check, and ignore' mode as much as possible.

TSM server and client are both 5.3.x, if that makes a difference.

Have I missed something obvious? This looks like a job for
'include.dir', but it looks like that's not a supported construct.

TIA

Tom Kauffman

NIBCO, Inc

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are for the
exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not
the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in
reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please
notify us immediately by return email and promptly delete this message
and its attachments from your computer system. We do not waive
attorney-client or work product privilege by the transmission of this
message.