ADSM-L

Re: Encryption in API

2006-08-28 10:56:08
Subject: Re: Encryption in API
From: fred johanson <fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 09:54:49 -0500
Thanks Neil, explicit examples would mean I don't lose anything in
transmission to the ORACLE DBAs.

At 07:40 AM 8/28/2006 -0700, you wrote:
Fred,

Encrypting Oracle databases with DP Oracle is accomplished in very much
the same fashion. The twist? In order to exploit the include.encrypt
statements you will have to rely on the 'format' statement in the RMAN
scripts that you use to backup your Oracle database. Using the 'format'
statement allows you to prepend/append characters (strings) to each backup
piece. For instance, you may have an RMAN script for each database, say
DB1 and DB2, then prepend these strings to each 'format' statement in your
RMAN script. Then you can use these identifiers in your include.encrypt
statements in your dsm.opt file.

I can give you explicit examples if you need them.

Regards,

Neil Rasmussen
Software Development
Data Protection for Oracle
rasmussn AT us.ibm DOT com

fred johanson <fred AT UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
08/28/2006 07:00 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Encryption in API

Thanks Del.  I suspected that is the way it works for SQL.  I can't
surmise
how to limit how much ORACLE is encrypted.

At 08:44 AM 8/28/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Fred,
>
>Go to:
>         http://www.ibm.com/us/
>
>Search for:
>         "Encrypting Data Protection for SQL Backups"
>
>(include the double quotes around the "Search for" text)
>
>Del

>"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 08/25/2006
>01:07:23 PM:
>
> > Since TDP for ORACLE and MSSQL use the API, I should be able to
encrypt
> > some or all of DB backups we do.  Since SQL generates the directory
name
> > for the backup, how do we determine which is which to include or
exclude
> > selected DBs on a particular client?  We have one client with about 75
>DBs
> > on it and not all should be encrypted.

Fred Johanson
ITSM Administrator