ADSM-L

Re: Reuse node name

2006-08-24 15:32:49
Subject: Re: Reuse node name
From: Robben Leaf <robben.leaf AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 14:28:31 -0500
We have had very good luck with the RENAME NODE method. It's quick and
simple, and allows you to keep the last version of the old server's backup
until you're positive you want to discard it.

Robben Leaf
Enterprise Storage Backup and Retention
651-962-2698
robben.leaf AT usbank DOT com

             "Keith Arbogast"
             <warbogas@INDIANA
             .EDU>                                                      To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     [ADSM-L] Reuse node name

             08/24/2006 02:18
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

A Windows sys-admin wishes to replace an existing Windows 2000 server
with a newly built Windows 2003 server, but using the old name for
the new server.  We have been backing up the old server for some
time.  He is adamant that he won't need to roll back to the old
server, or restore any files from its backups.

I'm wondering what problems might occur when we start backing up
files from the new client, for instance since the file systems on the
old and new servers will be somewhat different.

Would the best way to avoid problems be to do a RENAME NODE of the
old client?  Then, register the new server with the old name and TSM
won't have any records associated with that name to 'confuse' it.

If there is a simpler way, or if no intervention is required, I would
be glad to know that.

Our TSM servers are at version 5.3.0.2.

Thank you,
Keith Arbogast

Electronic Privacy Notice. This e-mail, and any attachments, contains
information that is, or may be, covered by electronic communications privacy
laws, and is also confidential and proprietary in nature. If you are not the
intended recipient, please be advised that you are legally prohibited from
retaining, using, copying, distributing, or otherwise disclosing this
information in any manner. Instead, please reply to the sender that you have
received this communication in error, and then immediately delete it. Thank you
in advance for your cooperation.