ADSM-L

Re: Restoring TDP for SQL backup onto another server

2006-08-15 09:47:56
Subject: Re: Restoring TDP for SQL backup onto another server
From: "Schaub, Steve" <steve_schaub AT BCBST DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:45:16 -0400
Note that if you have multiple instances per machine and want to restore
to one other than the default, you will need to also modify the
tdpsql.cfg (update the SQLSERVER parm to server\instance).

These type of complications, as well as several occasions where the
dsm.opt and tdpsql.cfg did not get changed back correctly, led me to
create a "generic" nodename that all the TDP backups go to, and a
front-end script to pick the SQL instance you want to land on when
firing up the gui.  That way, all the backups are readily available to
see and restore from on any SQL Server at all times.  It's a little more
work getting it set up, but saves time when you really need id - during
restores.

Steve Schaub
Systems Engineer, WNI
BlueCross BlueShield of Tennessee