ADSM-L

Re: TSM monitoring

2006-08-03 06:11:45
Subject: Re: TSM monitoring
From: Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 10:33:32 +0100
I have used custom Perl scripts, ServerGraph and TSM Operational
Reporting.

Custom Perl Scripts
Are obviously very flexible and given the Perl knowledge and time
(neither of which I have great deal of), you can get them to do almost
anything. I did also use some of the Perl scripting developed by Richard
Sims for the accounting report. You can find it at
http://people.bu.edu/rbs/adsm-report

ServerGraph
I found this to be a very good management tool. You do need a little bit
of expertise to get it all set up, although I haven't used the Windows
version. I found the development team very willing to accommodate new
ideas and incorporate them into future releases. I would say that the
product is higher end and is reflected in the price.

TSM Operational Reporting
In my view, a much underrated tool. It's free, that is, it comes with
TSM. Only runs on windows, so you may need a separate server if your TSM
server(s) are Unix.
Functionality is limited to really only SQL queries, but with a little
practice and some ingenuity, you can squeeze a little extra out of it.
It comes with a number of standard reports and they can give you a feel
for how the product works. From there on, you can start to tailor your
own reports/monitors.

I've never used TSM Manager, but it seems from the posts that it's
popular.

Leigh