ADSM-L

`

2006-08-01 13:27:58
Subject: `
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:26:14 -0400
Need some help from some Windows gurus out there; this is beyond my level
of Windows AD expertise (which doesn't take much!)

Client is using Windows 2003 AD.
The logon scripts are in the AD SYSVOL directory, which I am told is where
they have to be:

D:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain\scripts

An error was made changing a logon script, the change replicated to all
the other systems before it was discovered.

They wanted to restore the script from a TSM backup (seems reasonable).
However, the SYSVOL directory is excluded as it's part of the SYSTEMSTATE
backup.  But, they didn't want to take the risk of restoring all of AD to
get the scripts back (also seems reasonable).

Under Win2K, you could restore the SYSVOL without restoring all of system
state, but not under 2003.

If you start the command line client and run q inclexcl,
?:\WINDOWS\SYSVOL\...\* is excluded with the notation "Operating System",
although that particular notation is NOT in the list of Microsoft registry
keys for "do not backup"  (so how does it get there?)  Adding an INCLUDE
doesn't help, the Operating System level EXCLUDE takes precedence.

So, what do Windows 2003 folks out there recommend?  Do you store your
real logon scripts somewhere else so they get backed up?  These are just
tiny flat files.  At the moment I can't think of anything more clever than
a Windows scheduled task to copy them elsewhere on a regular basis.

Thanks for any insight!