ADSM-L

Re: 3592 tape read performance

2006-08-01 08:03:20
Subject: Re: 3592 tape read performance
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 07:56:38 -0400
Be careful about extrapolating 3590 concepts into other areas...

I have seen no published information to suggest that the 3592 tape
utilizes a Volume Control Region (VCR) as does the 3590.  The design
of the 3592 cartridge borrows from the LTO cartridge design in
incorporating a 4 KB Cartridge Memory (CM) chip for the recording of
various information about the cartridge and media.  3592 tape load
time is improved over 3590 load time in that the 3592 can read its CM
in parallel during the loading process, as opposed to the 3590 having
to position to and digest VCR info before proceeding with the load.
If 3592 tape errors are detected, this information is recorded on the
CM to allow the next drive to learn that the tape is "degraded".

Taking a long time to traverse a given area of tape is typically a
manifestation of retries, incited possibly by media defects or
environmental contaminants, as well as other issues previously
mentioned in this thread.  There is obviously no "linear scan" issue
where a single file is being operated upon.

I would advise taking a comprehensive look at your tape
environment...everything from air quality to drive microcode to brand
media quality.  You might cut open a particularly bad cartridge and
perform a post mortem.  (In doing this on a bad 3590 cartridge I
discovered that the tape was actually rippled as it came from the
manufacturer.)

   Richard Sims