ADSM-L

Re: 3592 tape read performance

2006-07-30 08:12:12
Subject: Re: 3592 tape read performance
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2006 08:10:50 -0400
Thomas -

We have 3592 drives as well, but have not experienced the kind of
read/write problems you are experiencing.  We find the 3592 to be a
superb, reliable tape technology.

Absent from your posting is mention of tape drive cleaning, so that
may be a cause. The 3592 is an extension of 3590 technology, and both
utilize cleaning cartridges to keep the drives performing reliably.
In AIX, there is thorough device error logging (unfortunately absent
in Linux), such that in AIX we can run the basic command 'errpt -R
3592' to look for instances where the drives said they needed
cleaning. This drive declaration is then satisfied by the 3494
Library Manager, where the 3592 drive is in such a library.

You also say that there are no TSM messages about 3592 errors. This
brings into question whether you have TapeAlert turned on, which
would help compensate for the Linux error recording deficiency.

All the usual environmental considerations apply to minimize tape
errors: clean air around the library and drives, clean transport and
careful handling of tapes entering and leaving the library (e.g.,
offsite storage), etc.

   Richard Sims