ADSM-L

Re: Error reading label

2006-07-28 10:38:04
Subject: Re: Error reading label
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2006 10:36:39 -0400
On Jul 28, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Richard Mochnaczewski wrote:

Hi Everybody,

We recently had a new rack addition installed in our 3494 library
this Sunday. Since that was done, we have been getting about 75
scratch tapes since Monday being changed from scratch to a private
state because of errors reading the label. I've checked about 30 of
these tapes and they look fine. Has anyone run into this problem ?
Could it be an alignment issue with the gripper ?

Rich

Richard -

I presume that this was a frame install, and is a barcode reading
issue rather than success in picking, mounting, but media label
reading issue.  Barcode reading issues can result from failing to do
a full Teach on the frame so that the accessor understands
positioning therein, or (unlikely) a cell matrix has shifted since
the install.  The CE can inspect the 3494 logs to see what the issue is.

I would verify conditions by first going to the 3494 LCD panel and
checking that tapes known to be in that area are properly cataloged
as such in the LM database.  (Look for any anomalies in what it
shows, relative to other tapes in other frames.)  If the accessor
will enter the new frame area, incite an attempt to mount a tape
while you watch, and see if the laser scans the barcode region
properly, compared with scanning barcodes in the more visible frame
1, for example.

   Another Richard