ADSM-L

Re: Using tsm-encryption and want to change the hostname at the Client

2006-07-27 09:31:54
Subject: Re: Using tsm-encryption and want to change the hostname at the Client
From: Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT UNI-ULM DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 15:31:17 +0200
Hi Alexei,

thanks for your hint - now i come with a new question concerning the 'restore' :
Because nothing changes other than the 'hostname' of that linux system ...
... what about the data that has been backed up prior to the time
I rename the hostname and reenter the 'encryption key password' ?

Because I stay with 'encryptkey save' what happens when (some time)
I may do a full restore of the '/home/' -Filespace ?

Because this Filespace '/home/'  has data backed up that is encrypted
with both encryption-key-usage of the old and the new 'hostname'
( but always the same 'tsm-Nodename' )
... will I am able to restore(and decrypt) all of it ?

... i fear to go into problems - Or do I have to start backup again
from 'zero' - for example :
by renaming  the filespace on the server
at the time changing the hostname ?

Thanks again for any hints !
-- that is something really confusing to me :-|

Rainer

Alexei Kojenov schrieb:

Rainer,

You need to make TSM client prompt you for encryption key password on the
next backup after you changed the hostname. The only way to do this is to
rename/remove the existing TSM.PWD file (this is the file where TSM client
stores its passwords). You should rename this file rather than delete it,
in case you have problems and want to revert.

Alexei

-----------------------

Dear TSmers,

we have tsmserver 5.3.3.2 /solaris and tsm-Client 5.3.4.0 /linux.

On the Client we use tsm-encryption :
The 'nodename' Option is set in the dsm.sys and also the
'encryptkey save' OPtion is set  and  'encryptiontype AES128' is also set.
The inclexc-File contains a line like 'include.encrypt *'
So far anything runs fine :-)

Problem: Next week we have to change the 'hostname' of that linux-server.
The Question now is : - if any - what steps are to be done at the
tsm-Client ?
... and even at the tsm-server ?
The (tsm)nodename won't be changed.
Do I need the TSM-Client in a manual way give once again the
encryption-key password to let the encryption-key be generated ?
Or is there nothing to be done at the Client ?

I have looked throgh the lists and docs and havent't found any
'procedures' for that scenario - just pointers to dependancies on the
system's hostname.

Thanks in advance for any hints , recipe or links ... !
Rainer

Rainer Wolf                          eMail:       rainer.wolf AT uni-ulm DOT de
kiz - Abt. Infrastruktur           Tel/Fax:      ++49 731 50-22482/22471
Universitaet Ulm                     wwweb:        http://kiz.uni-ulm.de