ADSM-L

Reclamation processing behavior

2006-07-25 16:57:37
Subject: Reclamation processing behavior
From: "Thorneycroft, Doug" <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:55:50 -0700
I have recently added a Virtual Tape Library to my TSM 5.2.6 Windows server.
And have noticed that TSM starts reclamation differently for the Primary storage
pools on the VTL than it does for the Primary Storage pools on my tape library.
(sequential storage pools on both)

Reclamation is normally set at 100. When I lower the threshold on a storage
pool
using the Tape Library, reclamation starts immediately, But when I lower it on
the
Virtual Tape library, it waits up to an hour to start.

I know that Tivoli automatically checks about once an hour for volumes that
have become eligible
for reclamation.  But for the real tape pools, reclamation starts immediately
when I manually lower
the threshold, while on the Virtual tape pools, it waits. (currently it will
start at 21minutes and 2seconds
after the hour, So if I lower the threshold at 9:20, reclamation will start at
9:21:02 and if I lower it at 9:22,
reclamation will start at 10:21:02) If at any time, I lower the threshold on a
storage pool using the real tape
library, reclamation start immediately.

The only difference between the storage pool definitions that I'm aware of is
that the Storage pools using
the Virtual tape library have a "Next Storage Pool" named, and the  Storage
pools using the real tape library
have no "Next Storage Pool" named.

This really isn't a problem, but I was just curious if anyone knows why Tivol
treats the two types of storage
pools differently.

Doug Thorneycroft