ADSM-L

Re: Operational Reporting oddities

2006-07-23 07:17:54
Subject: Re: Operational Reporting oddities
From: Lloyd Dieter <ldieter AT ROCHESTER.RR DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 08:09:44 -0400
I can offer a suggestion for scheduling reports/monitors in TSMOR...turn
off the TSMREPTSVC service.

The maximum "time granularity" achievable with the service is one hour,
and there have been numerous occasions when I wanted more control.

What I've found is the best solution is to execute the reports/monitors as
.cmd files from the command line via the Windows scheduler.  You can then
update reports/monitors as frequently or infrequently as you want.

You first have to define the report or monitor within TSMOR.  Then if you
CD into the install directory (usually c:\program
files\tivoli\tsm\console), you can execute:

tsmrept -type=list

To show all of the command strings necessary to run each report or
monitor.

Put those commands into a script, and execute them from the Windows
scheduler.

For example, a script called "daily_reports.cmd" might contain:

c:
cd \progra~1\tivoli\tsm\console
tsmrept -COMPUTER=myserver -INSTANCE="myinstance" -TYPE=report
-NAME="daily report" -notifyrecipients=yes
tsmrept -COMPUTER=myserver -INSTANCE="myinstance" -TYPE=report
-NAME="reclamation reports" -notifyrecipients=yes
tsmrept -COMPUTER=myserver -INSTANCE="myinstance" -TYPE=report
-NAME="statistics report" -notifyrecipients=yes
tsmrept -COMPUTER=myserver -INSTANCE="myinstance" -TYPE=report -NAME="tape
media report" -notifyrecipients=yes
tsmrept -COMPUTER=myserver -INSTANCE="myinstance" -TYPE=report
-NAME="client backup report" -notifyrecipients=yes

HTH....

-Lloyd

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:55:52 -0400
Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG> wrote thusly:

> We have version 5.3.3.0 of TSM Operational Reporting running under
> Windows 2003. OR is being used to monitor a TSM server that is
> currently at 5.2.6.0 and will shortly be upgraded to 5.3.3.0. The
> server runs under mainframe Linux.
>
> I am trying to set up two montitors for to detect passwords that
> will expire within a week. One is for administrator passwords
> used to automate TSM operations. The other is for node passwords
> used for Oracle TDP (Oracle TDP is cleverly designed to prevent
> the use of  the 'passwordaccess generate' option).
>
> I would like each of these monitors to run once per day. They
> run once per hour even when the 'Period covered' and 'Repeat
> every' attributes are both set to 24 hours. How do I get them
> to run less frequently?
>
> When I created the second monitor I found the rule from the first
> monitor already present. When I added the rule for expiring node
> passwords to the second monitor it appeared in the first monitor
> as well. When I activate or deactivate a rule in one monitor it
> is activated or deactivated in the other monitor as well. How doI create
> two monitors with different rules?

    Lloyd Dieter            -               Systems Engineer
          IBM CATE                     Registered Linux User 285528
   SCS, Inc.     http://www.scsinet.com   ldieter AT scsinet DOT com
          Main:315-446-5555    Direct:585-226-3289