ADSM-L

Re: TSM Client Pricing for Intel Dual Core Processors

2006-07-21 16:09:30
Subject: Re: TSM Client Pricing for Intel Dual Core Processors
From: "Gee, Norman" <Norman.Gee AT LC.CA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:08:58 -0700
Take a look at this announcement letter
http://www-306.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_ca/3/897/ENUS206-063/ENUS206-063.PDF

IBM*s licensing policy is summarized below:

Number of

licenses

Cores required

Hard- n-Way per per

ware refer- ²1-way² ²1-way²

vendor Server family Chip family ence server(1) server(1)

------ ---------------- -------------- ------ -------- ---------

Intel Multiple Single Core Chip 1 1

or server Dual Core Chip 2 1

AMD families(3)

3 Intel and AMD servers include, but are not limited to, the IBM xSeries* ,
Dell PowerEdge, HP ProLiant, and SunFire x64

servers.

All other servers will require a license for each processor core, unless IBM
announces a separate licensing exception

for that particular technology.

I have been told by our sales rep that it is only per physical chip, not
per core. But I'm not sure if that is IBM's official word or not.