ADSM-L

Journal backup hangs on Windows 2003

2006-07-18 08:42:12
Subject: Journal backup hangs on Windows 2003
From: Alexander Verkooijen <alexander AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:40:57 +0200
Hello,

I've searched the list archives and the
APARs and found several postings
about problems with the journal based backups
but none that I could find resembled my problem.
So I humbly turn to this list for advise.

One of our customers runs a 5.3.3.0 client
on Windows 2003
Our server is 5.3.3.1 on AIX 5.2.0.0

We advised the customer to do journal based
backups to decrease the time the backup takes.
Unfortunately the client hangs when it tries to
do a backup.

dsmcad contacts the server and retrieves the
time the backup is scheduled. It even starts dsmc
at the appropriate time but dsmc just sits there
and after 75 minutes the server severs the
connection because it doesn't receive any traffic
from the client.
On the client however the scheduler keeps running
until it is terminated by the customer.

When the customer tries to stop the "TSM Journal
Service" it hangs (does not stop)

There is a strange error in the dsmerror.log
that pops up several times per day:

07/18/2006 09:39:50 ANS5250E An unexpected error was encountered.
   TSM function name : VssRequestor::QueryStatus
   TSM function      : pAsync->QueryStatus() for caller
'VssQuerySystemWriters()' returned VSS_E_WRITER_INFRASTRUCTURE
   TSM return code   : -1
   TSM file          : vssreq.cpp (8270)

My knowledge of Windows is virtually non existent
so I have no idea what this is about.

The dsmsched.log is silent.

Any ideas anyone?

Regards,