ADSM-L

Re: TSM hangup of whole machine

2006-07-14 14:45:33
Subject: Re: TSM hangup of whole machine
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 14:44:44 -0400
HOW did you get the server to install on XP?!?  I would love to set up a test
TSM server on an XP system, but when I tried it, it would not install there.
(It is not supported on XP, according to the TSM site, so I didn't call
support.)

BUT, back to your question:

When I have seen strange behavior that locks up the machine during a client
backup, it has always been due to the client backup of Windows System State.
Nothing appears in the Event logs. A reboot usually fixes it, temporarily.

Things to try:

-If this happens EVERY time, try running a backup from the GUI.  Select ONLY
the LOCAL drives, not the SystemState.  If that works OK, you can try again
just the SystemState and see if that locks up, to prove the problem.

-If it only happens occasionally, you can test by changing the scheduler so
that  it doesn't back up system state during a regular backup:  domain
-systemstate

During the test you can back up system state using ntbackup instead, writing to
a flat file, and let TSM back up the flat file.  This is the command you use
for a Windows scheduled task that does system state backup with ntbackup
instead of tsm:  C:\WINNT\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE  backup systemstate /f
c:\pathname\systemstate.bkf

-The 5.3.4.3 client is REALLY REALLY new;  in fact it is a patch, not a formal
code release.  I would not assume that ANYONE but you has tested that version
on an XP system that is also running a TSM server!  Perhaps you have found a
problem with the patch!  You could back off to the 5.3.4 level, or even the
5.3.2 level.

-If you have implemented OpenFile support in the TSM client, TURN IT OFF.
There have been many problems with open file support and Windows 2003; I'm sure
they are in XP as well.

Wanda