ADSM-L

Re: Retention of backup versions

2006-07-14 07:23:58
Subject: Re: Retention of backup versions
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 07:21:50 -0400
On Jul 14, 2006, at 6:16 AM, Yiannakis Vakis wrote:

I'm sure this question has been asked many times but I want to be
sure what
is going on:

A mgnt class has been defined so that 5 versions of a file are
kept, with a
retention of 30 days.
A file that is changed daily is backed up for 5 consecutive days.
The next
backup is taken 3 months later.
What happens to the inactive files?

The TSM Concepts redbook does a good job of explaining backup
versioning. See section 6.4.9 therein.

The RETExtra and the RETOnly parameters control time-based expiration
of Inactive versions, where RETExtra applies where there is an Active
version, and RETOnly applies where there is no Active version.  In
your example, RETExtra pertains.  Whereas it specifies a retention of
just 30 days, all the Inactive versions would be gone, leaving the
Active version - which the next backup would make the single Inactive
version.

Where both Version and Retention parameters are specified, the more
severe will rule.

   Richard Sims        http://people.bu.edu/rbs