ADSM-L

Windows number of instances limitation.

2006-07-13 05:02:39
Subject: Windows number of instances limitation.
From: Steve Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 00:01:08 +1000
Hi all.

I'm designing a TSM solution for a client.  Servers are a couple of beefy
Intel boxes - 4 way Xeons with 6GB of memory.  This user is government so
there is a long retention period required and the databases are big and
going to get bigger.

I was looking at a two way Windows cluster (2k3 datacenter edition, if it
matters) solution with 5 instances, a combined config manager/central
database backup/library manager/event manager and four "worker" instances,
basically the same as each other but with the nodes shared around to balance
the load.

Of course each of the cluster machines would have to support the whole
shebang at some point, for maintenance and in case of extended outages
(eventually it will be a geographically separated cluster for serious DR
capability).  Now it turns out that you can't create a fifth TSM instance on
a windows server in the usual manner - the option to do so in the management
console is grayed out when there are four instances. I'm told that this is a
documented limitation, but I can't see where it is documented, despite some
serious searching.  If any of you know where this is written can you please
advise?

Does anyone know where this limit is coded, or how it might be circumvented?
The TSM registry structure is fairly simple so manually creating the
appropriate files and registry enties might work if I can't somehow trick
the wizard into action. Please let me know if you have tried this and what
the outcome was.

IMO this artificial restriction is a danged good reason to use Linux rather
than windows.

TIA

Steve

Steven Harris