ADSM-L

Re: Deleting database snapshot

2006-07-12 03:37:55
Subject: Re: Deleting database snapshot
From: Neil Schofield <neil.schofield AT YORKSHIREWATER.CO DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:36:39 +0100
Chip

There *is* an easy way that I picked up from reading these lists, but for
obvious reasons it's not documented.

If you really want to override the essential protection that TSM is
providing you, you can delete the most recent database snapshot by
specifying FORCE=YES on the DEL VOLHIST TYPE=DBS command. I know it works
in 5.2.6.4.

Yours is one of the few scenarios where you might sensibly use this, but
clearly you do so at your own risk!

Regards
Neil Schofield
Yorkshire Water Services Ltd.

----- Message from "Bell, Charles (Chip)" <xxxx.xxxx AT xxxxx DOT xxx> on Tue,
11
Jul 2006 14:01:56 -0500 -----

 Subject: Deleting database
          snapshot

I recently asked about this and received good answers. But what I would
like to know is if TSM development is ever going to consider making it
to where you can rid yourself of ALL unwanted database
backups/snapshots. The docs says "The latest snapshot database backup
will not be deleted" when you attempt a 'delete volhist' on them. So is
it still correct that I cannot delete these through any method, and if
not, is that ever going to change? I have some tapes I could sure use as
scratches...   :-)

If you're curious we went from full database backups to snapshots back
to fulls again.

God bless you!!!

Chip Bell
Network Engineer I
IBM Tivoli Certified Deployment Professional (ITSM 5.2)
Baptist Health System
Birmingham, AL

Confidentiality Notice:
confidential information and intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named in the address. If you are not the
distribution, or copying of this information is strictly
prohibited. If you received this information in error, please
notify the sender and delete this information from your computer
and retain no copies of any of this information.

In Yorkshire, water stocks are around 90% full and no restrictions
are anticipated.  Over the past few years, we've reduced leakage
significantly, saving enough water to meet the daily demands of
Sheffield and Barnsley.  For tips on how you can save water visit
http://www.yorkshirewater.com/waterefficiency

YORKSHIRE WATER - WINNER OF THE UTILITY OF THE YEAR AWARD 2004 AND
2005

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may also be
legally privileged. The contents are intended for recipient only
and are subject to the legal notice available at
http://www.keldagroup.com/email.htm Yorkshire Water Services
Limited
Registered Office Western House Halifax Road Bradford BD6 2SZ
Registered in England and Wales No 2366682