ADSM-L

DB backup on a DDS drive

2006-07-10 12:27:02
Subject: DB backup on a DDS drive
From: Michal Mertl <michal.mertl AT I DOT CZ>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:26:40 +0200
I have a TSM server with LTO tape library and a DDS tape drive. I would
like to backup the database to the DDS tape without human intervention.
I imagine the tape stays loaded in the drive and every day TSM will
rewind and overwrite it with fresh DB backup. I know that this isn't
optimal is it possible? I works flawlessly to do the DB backup to the
library but I don't want to waste all LTO tape with just a couple of
gigs when the library is always almost full.

Thank you for any help.

Michal