ADSM-L

How to restore from overmounted directory?

2006-06-27 06:29:09
Subject: How to restore from overmounted directory?
From: Krzysztof Kus <kkus AT OPTIX DOT PL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:29:09 +0200
Hello.

Let say that I have 'test' dir on the root fs with '1.txt' file. After
backup in the TSM backups table it looks like this:

 FILESPACE_NAME: /
        HL_NAME: /test/
        LL_NAME: 1.txt

Then I decided to do a separate fs mount point on the test directory
with different content '2.txt'. After backup TSM sees a new file space
and in backups table I can see:

 FILESPACE_NAME: /test
        HL_NAME: /
        LL_NAME: 2.txt

Now the question: How can I restore /test/1.txt?
q back /test/1.txt says: "No files matching search criteria were found".
It's clear why, TSM knows that /test/ is the file space and looks for
object in the backups table where:

FILESPACE_NAME: /test
       HL_NAME: /
       LL_NAME: 1.txt

but it doesn't exists in the DB. I tried -inactive, -pitd, -pitt ... but
the only full root filesystem '/' restore seems to work. Does anybody
know any better/simpler way?

Best regards
Krzysztof Kus