ADSM-L

Re: TSM diskpool on SATA

2006-06-22 05:35:20
Subject: Re: TSM diskpool on SATA
From: Mahesh Tailor <MTailor AT CARILION DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:34:54 -0400
We have our primary pool on SATA (IBM DS4100) arrays which are behind an
IBM SVC and we have not seen any performance issues.  There was initial
concern with performance and reliability of the SATA drives, but with
the SVC in the middle, neither have been an issue.

Mahesh

>>> Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU 6/21/2006 12:06:22 PM >>>
OK, I'll chime in too.

I think Content Manager is an excellent SATA application - VERY SELDOM
USED data should be happy there.

For a primary disk pool, it can work in some environments, but can
also
be a BAD idea.

Thing is, even all SATA is not created equal. Before you decide you
can
put PRIMARY disk on SATA, ask about SUSTAINED throughput rates.

If your data needs to go SOMEWHERE ELSE (like get copied or migrated
tape) from the SATA disk, think carefully. If you're talking a LOT of
data, think VERY carefully.

I've worked with some SATA disk that drop to as low as 8MB/second
after
you exceed the cache read ahead/flush capacity (and that's on READ
I/O,
not even writes!).

So now let's think: Reading at 8MB/sec, writing to LTO3 that runs (or
tries to) at 70MB/sec - can you say "BOAT ANCHOR?".

Wanda
"There is no such thing as fast, cheap, reliable disk." - don't
remember
who said it, but I agree
"Shopping for the cheapest disk makes no more sense than shopping for
the cheapest brain surgeon." - me