ADSM-L

Re: TSM-ASR and BladeCenter

2006-06-16 12:36:29
Subject: Re: TSM-ASR and BladeCenter
From: Jim Hatfield <jim.hatfield AT KDMC DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 12:32:37 -0400
Hi Steve

I would be very grateful to see the document he is using for a successful
TSM restore in ASR mode of windows 2003 for HS20 8843's.

At least, from my multiple attempts, the HS20's with this particular
broadcom network card integrated in them is NOT being seen by windows in ASR
mode...I have used the Micorosoft devcon.exe DOS utility to look at both the
devices and the drivers in Windows 2003 during the DOS session where TSM
asks if you want to start the restore from network or from local-backup, and
there are no NIC drivers getting installed with a native Windows 2003
standard CD.

Ipconfig /all just returns "Windows IP" and ROUTE PRINT returns the
127.0.0.1 address.  I also checked BIOS settings of the Broadcom's to see if
there is a "compatible" mode for the card to behave more like a "standard"
ethernet NIC, but there is no such setting.

Devcon does see the ethernet PCI devices, though, so that tells me that
Windows 2003 native CD drivers just do not know how to install for them?

I have perused the IBM Serverguide CD for this blade, and it has the updated
broadcom drivers in them but now I am stuck as to how to integrate them with
the actual ASR strategy.  Even if I could figure out which script in the ASR
process to insert the right device-driver-load-instructions...I am still
faced with this now not being ASR (i.e. automated)

I mean, I can do a server-guide install of vanilla windows and then install
Tivoli client, configure the Tivoli client, then restore with Tivoli while
making sure the backed-up registry and other system objects overwrite the
vanilla ones.  In fact, that is what I am testing right now.

But with 14 servers per chassis and three chassis full...well, it would not
be preferable to have to have a big long manual process that has to be
repeated 42 times in a disaster recovery situation. :(

It would seem much more beneficial to have 2 CD's and 1 floppy disk to
restore each server with a simple set of instructions that anyone in IT
could follow?

-Jim Hatfield
IT Manager
Kings Daughters Medical Center