ADSM-L

Re: SQL SELECT Query

2006-06-16 09:18:42
Subject: Re: SQL SELECT Query
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 09:17:49 -0400
On Jun 16, 2006, at 9:00 AM, Laura Mastandrea wrote:

I have been asked from our auditors to get the following.  Does
anyone have
a SQL query that does this or know where or how I can get this
information?

The auditors are requesting a report out of TSM that would show
which tape
a backup for a specific schedule on a specific date was written to.

Is this information available?

Thank you!

Laura

Laura -

In terms of modern data processing standards and technology, that's
not a valid question for auditors to be asking.  They should be
asking for the means of assuring that any given backup is secured on
non-volatile media, regardless of type or number of volumes or
replication (e.g., copy storage pools).  It matters only that the
data is assuredly in the backing store.  What volume it is currently
on is irrelevant (and changes, as reclamations are run).

I get the impression that your auditors are working from a
questionnaire developed in the 1980s, where a backup was written to a
tape drive (e.g., 8mm) attached to a given system, producing a single
tape per backup.  That's a long-outdated concept.

   Richard Sims    http://people.bu.edu/rbs