ADSM-L

Re: Journal Based Backups

2006-06-14 15:35:13
Subject: Re: Journal Based Backups
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:32:19 -0500
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 06/13/2006
09:42:38 PM:

> On Tue, 13 Jun 2006, TSM_User might have said:
>
> > Many windows 2003 servers now days can scan one to two million files
> per hour. We don't use journaling until we get over five million files.
> I've seen the deeper the directory structure the longer it takes to scan

> Basically if all one million files are at the root of a drive it will
> scan much faster then if one million files were in hundres of
subdirectories.

> I don't think the time issues relate only to number of files.
> The amount of traffic between client and server about just
> which files to backup is my concern. That's why I have this
> other program.
>
> Mike

I'm not sure there is all that much network traffic during the exchange of
metadata, at least I haven't noticed it.  If that was the case, then
remote site backups over slow connections would take several hours to
backup even if only .00001% changed.  I've done some slow link remote site
backups before and the actual exchange of metadata seemed to be rather
small and quite efficient, and I don't recall the times to scan the
filesystems taking a whole lot longer than their local LAN counterparts.
Then again that was a few years ago and my memory could be failing me.

If anyone on the list is doing LANfree backups with any servers that have
a somewhat large number of files, it would be interesting to see your
LANfree vs LAN bytes sent summary at the end of your backup.  That will be
a true test of how much data is sent over the network during the process
of deciding whether or not to backup a file.

John Monahan
Consultant Infrastructure Solutions
Computech Resources, Inc.
Office: 952-833-0930 ext 109