ADSM-L

Re: TSM - Can't define drives to library for copy storage pool.

2006-06-12 09:22:32
Subject: Re: TSM - Can't define drives to library for copy storage pool.
From: Rob Berendt <rob AT DEKKO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:21:54 -0400
Well, I've made a lot of progress on this.  Seems that resolving the
myriad of tape drives in
/dev/IBMTape#
to the output produced by
cat /proc/scsi/scsi
is mostly by guess and by gosh.  I managed to get the right ones and the
copy storage pool completed.  Yay!

Now, I fear that it may only be temporary.  Apparently the support for
stuff on Linux is not at the level I am used to for i5/os.  TSM had me
open a problem with hardware.  They helped me out but then sent me this
email that basically says that if I bounce the linux servers the driver
names may change.  I really don't want to reconfigure TSM every time I
bounce the server.  So, how do I set up this "persistent binding"?

<snip>
Rob as we discussed, this problem looks like a "persistent Binding" issue.
 What
Persistent Binding" does is assign a specific SCSI id to each individual
WWN.  If the
Host server is power down  or crashes for any reason, the adapter will
hold the
SCSI bindings.  when the server is powered up again and all WWN devices
are
visible the adapter will assign the specific id to the WWN requiring it.

This is good for the backup application because they store the type/serial
and
SCSI id.  They compare the stored data with the devices that are
registered to
the server. If the data does not match what is stored then the backup
program
will have a communication problem with the devices it is looking for.

I am not sure how you would set the adapters PB function on Linux.
You can search IBM's knowledge base on the web for the 5704
adapter or contact IBM Software Support to find out how to set
adapter functions in Linux OS.

Thanks For Calling IBM Service.
</snip>

Rob Berendt