ADSM-L

TSM - Can't define drives to library for copy storage pool.

2006-06-09 11:17:21
Subject: TSM - Can't define drives to library for copy storage pool.
From: Rob Berendt <rob AT DEKKO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:01:49 -0400
Setting up a new TSM server on a Suse Linux lpar on an i5.
Working on the copy storage pool.

Can't seem to define the drives.

Library name is TAPMLB01, type SCSI.  It is an IBM 3582-L23 fiber
attached.
For the "Device special name" I used a putty client and found
/dev/IBMchanger0.
Then it went into define drives.  I selected add drive.  For drive name I
picked IBMtape0.  For Device special name I put in /dev/IBMtape0.  Again
my putty clients lists several items under /dev, like:
IBMchanger0
IBMtape
IBMtape0
IBMtape0n
IBMtape1
IBMtape1n
IBMtape2
IBMtape2n
IBMtape3
IBMtape3n
IBMtape4
IBMtape4n
IBMtape5
IBMtape5n
IBMtape6
IBMtape6n

Funny thing is we had this half configured once.  And a checkin started
shifting around tapes.  But we had issues and the whole thing got
corrupted simply by doing a stop of the linux server without doing a halt
of the TSM server first and that was before our first database backup so
we get the privilege of starting over.

Rob Berendt
--
Group Dekko Services, LLC