ADSM-L

Re: ? Should we set Resourceutilization > 10 if appropriate ?

2006-06-06 10:56:02
Subject: Re: ? Should we set Resourceutilization > 10 if appropriate ?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:55:37 -0500
At one point I was tempted to do this, with a client who backs up
1tb/night. But it would not help, in fact things got slower as the
numerous processes competed with each other and created worse disk I/O
contention on BOTH the client and the server. Bandwidth utilization
measured at the client NIC actually declined. You might have heard me
whining about this problem on this list back in February of this year.

What was effective, was attacking the backup performance problem at its
source, by tuning the disk I/O subsystems on both the client and the
server. At the server level, I had to work on both the disk storage pool
which that client was backing up into, and the TSM database.

There are no silver bullets here, but there might be bronze bullets -
look at raising your TSM DB bufpoolsize, and also your OS' settings for
disk buffers on the TSM disk storage pool volumes. More effective than
that, however, was simply buying more disk drives for both the database
and the storage pool, and spreading the I/O load out farther.

The disk tuning worked. This client is now backing up in a reasonable
time with RESOURCEUTILIZATION 10. But I watch it carefully. One of my
key measures of TSM server performance is how long this huge client
takes to back up.