ADSM-L

Re: Can data be read from scratch tapes?

2006-06-01 10:28:37
Subject: Re: Can data be read from scratch tapes?
From: Brenda Collins <collinbr AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:21:10 -0500

Thanks for the responses I received on this question.  The link to previous responses from Andy was very good in explaining the issues to auditors.  I thought I would also share a tech note that was provided to me through opening a pmr.

Technote  # 1212293  Title *  TSM Ensures That Data On Tapes Are Secure.
.
Solution * The customer is responsible for the physical security of the
tapes. But the following will explain why reading tapes written by TSM

is difficult, if not impossible, to be read by an outside application:

1. First, if client encryption is enabled, 3rd party applications would

be prevented from simply reading the data off the tape since it is not

in its native form. Please note that you must save the encryption key
because once it is lost, no one can retrieve it not even  the TSM
development  team.

2. Second, TSM stores the data on the tape in a proprietary format. We
insert control information and metadata within the data stream that
prevents the data from being read from end to end in its native form.
3. Third, without the TSM database, one would not be able to determine
the position of the data on the tape for objects. The data is not stored

as a filespace as some applications do.
Topic Security

Brenda Collins
Storage Management