ADSM-L

Re: LTO Auto Cleaning

2006-06-01 09:07:39
Subject: Re: LTO Auto Cleaning
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:07:15 -0400
My first 3584 library was set up for auto-clean with LTO Gen 1 tape
drives -- and when it went off-lease, the only counts on the cleaning
tapes were from manually mounting them to check out tape drives.

I've got two years on the second library, 10 LTO Gen 2 drives, running
about 4 TB of data per night through the system. I haven't used a
cleaning tape cycle yet, nor have I seen any SCSI errors that indicate a
drive needs cleaning. And I'm still running a lot of the original Gen 1
tapes.

I think the engineers outdid themselves on designing self-cleaning
systems.

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc