ADSM-L

Re: TDP data retention - change after backup is complete?

2006-05-30 13:46:06
Subject: Re: TDP data retention - change after backup is complete?
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 13:45:39 -0400
Joni,

I can't quite tell what your ultimate goal is here.
You don't tell us how often you run a backup and/or if you
are using Domino transaction logging or not. You also
don't mention if this is a new requirement, or just a
one time thing needed for a particular purpose.

As a general rule of theumb here...
If you change the management class for the new backups,
it will rebind the older backups to the new management class.
If you do not want to change the management class for the new backups,
you could rename the filespace or use a new nodename so that the new
backups will be using a new nodename and/or fresh filespace.

There are a few techniques that you could use, depending on
what you want to do in the end.

As an FYI... if your requirements have you keep backups
based on time and not versions, you should
consider changing your management classes.  For example:
    Versions Data Exists      unlimited
    Versions Data Deleted     unlimited
    Retain Extra Versions     30
    Retain Only Version       30
This will keep all backups for at least 30 days, regardless
of how many times you run a backup (scheduled or adhoc).
I hope this gives you some ideas.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/30/2006
11:39:22 AM: