ADSM-L

Re: Question - Migration

2006-05-23 12:18:28
Subject: Re: Question - Migration
From: Troy Frank <Troy.Frank AT UWMF.WISC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 11:17:03 -0500
What's your current tsm server hardware (disks/buses/drives/ram,cpu,
ect), and how close is the migration getting to finish?  Is it getting
pretty close to being done, or is it a large time gap to overcome?

On the tsm side, I think your original solution of splitting the
critical nodes into their own diskpool would be about the only way to
solve it.  Throwing hardware at the problem might also, depending on
your current specs, and how big a deficiency needs to be overcome.

>>> Backhaus.Nancy AT HEALTHNOW DOT ORG 5/23/2006 10:40 AM >>>
Problem: TSM doesn't have enough time during the day to drain all of
the
diskpools down to 0% before client backups start in the afternoon. So,
on our declared disaster day, one of our critical small DB2 databases
was
still on disk never going to tape. Because migration selects the
largest
client with the largest amont of data, that small database is stuck in
disk for multiple days never going to tape. I could seperate the
critical servers into smaller disk pools as one solution, or collocate
by
group node data.

Question> Is there a way to force all of a client nodes data in a
diskpool to migrate to tape even though it falls below the low
migration
setting? I see settings in update stgpool to keep data longer in disk,
but I want any data that is left over from yesterday to migrate first
before starting with the largest client again.

Background:

TSM Server Extended Edition 5.3.2.2
AIX Operating System 5.3

Our clients all back up to disk pools first , then we backup the
diskpools
to onsite tape pools, then do a backup of the onsite tapepools for
disaster recovery and send those tapes to an offsite location.

Nancy Backhaus
Enterprise Systems
HealthNow, NY
716-887-7979

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email message and any attachments are for
the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain proprietary,
confidential, trade secret or privileged information. Any unauthorized
review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and may be a
violation of law. If you are not the intended recipient or a person
responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient, please
contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the
original
message.

Confidentiality Notice follows:

The information in this message (and the documents attached to it, if any)
is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for
the addressee. Access to this message by anyone else is unauthorized. If
you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution
or any action taken, or omitted to be taken in reliance on it is
prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this message in
error, please delete all electronic copies of this message (and the
documents attached to it, if any), destroy any hard copies you may have
created and notify me immediately by replying to this email. Thank you.