ADSM-L

Re: group collocation on virtual volumes/ remote-server volumes ?

2006-05-22 12:30:14
Subject: Re: group collocation on virtual volumes/ remote-server volumes ?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 12:29:52 -0400
>> On Mon, 22 May 2006 16:14:28 +0200, Rainer Wolf <rainer.wolf AT UNI-ULM DOT
>> DE> said:

> the question is now:
> is it possible to make use of the group-collocation-feature when
> having disk-cache as Primary StoragePools and the next-storagepool
> is on a remote-tsm-server's virtual volumes ?

I think your question has a category answer; because I have to answer
'yes' it works, but I don't believe you'll care, if you think about
it.

Yes, it works; that is, if nodes Alpha, Alex, and Allen are in
COLLOCGROUP 'A', then they will have all their data directed to the
same virtual volume.

Of course, that doesn't say anything about which physical tape volume
'A' will be sitting on when time comes to read it.  So it won't be on
a separate tape volume than a volume holding group B data.

If you want to get this kind of distinction working on the other side
of a virtual-volume link, you're going to have to split things up by
node on the virtual-volume target side.  Then, you'll have different
SERVER definitions on the source server, and different devclasses, and
different stgpools.

Probably more pain in the patoot than you desire.

- Allen S. Rout