ADSM-L

Re: Moving our TSM Server off MVS/ZOS to Win2003

2006-05-19 13:48:21
Subject: Re: Moving our TSM Server off MVS/ZOS to Win2003
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 12:43:36 -0500
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/19/2006
11:56:38 AM:
> We recently received the okay to move our current TSM Server off the
> MVS/ZOS mainframe to a Windows server.  Along with this, we will be
> getting an IBM 3584 Library with (6)TS1120 Jaguar tape drives ...
> this will be exclusive to TSM and may be located at an offsite
> location (still waiting for decision from above).  And I'll have 800
> GB's of disk from an IBM DS6800.  I'll have to export/move the
> current date from a 3594 Magstar ATL and some older archived data on
> a VTL to the Jaguar.   That will consist of moving date from 3590e
> carts with around 20 GB's of data to cartridges with a capacity of 300
GB's.

> Having always been a "mainframer" :~)... I am wondering if anyone
> else here has gone through this transition and wouldn't mind passing
> on some useful tips.  I have been browsing on the Internet for a
> redbook or white paper... even a checklist of considerations, but
> haven't found much as yet.

You will find that the export of actual data will take *way* longer than
you would care to wait (by several orders of magnitude).

Here's a best-practice framework to follow:

1. Get your new TSM server running.
2. Set up server-to-server communication between the old and new servers.
3. Run EXPORT SERVER from the old server and send it to the new server;
this will move your entire TSM environment (policies, nodes, etc). Do
*not* move filedata. Expect to have to do some cleanup to modify the old
environment's definitions to the new environment.
4. Give your new TSM server the IP address used by the old server.
(Otherwise, you'll have to touch all of your TSM clients to change their
option files.)
5. Run all of your new backups to the new server/library.
6. If you have to do a restore from the old server, change the client's
option file to point at the old server and run the restore.
7. After a month or so, modify the retention policies on the old server to
get rid of all but the latest copy of all data. Then let the data expire
off of the old TSM server for at least several months. *Then* consider
running exports of data from the old server to the new server.

Clumsy? Yes. Time-consuming? You bet. But it's the only good way to move
from one OS to another for your TSM server. (*Why* are you moving to
Windows?)

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
US Bank MR Backup and Recovery Management