ADSM-L

Best way to integrate Microsoft VSC with TSM?

2006-05-18 10:41:34
Subject: Best way to integrate Microsoft VSC with TSM?
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 09:41:15 -0500
TSM Server 5.3.3 on Windows 2003 SP1
TSM Client 5.3.new on Windows XP and AIX 5.3
Data storage:  200 GB disk and IBM 3583-L18

We are planning to implement an enhanced TSM system in one of our remote
offices.  That scheme would involve use of Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy
(VSC) on the data stored on our file servers at that site.  Servers other
than our file servers would rely upon traditional TSM incremental-forever
backups.  File versioning for restores would be done in VSC.  TSM would
still be used for DR via DRM and a copypool on the 3583.

What is the best way to implement such a scheme?

I know that TSM 5.3 uses VSC to protect the Windows OS and we plan to use
that.  But what about the data?  And how does a restore of the VSC data
recovery volume work?

TIA

Tab Trepagnier
TSM Administrator