ADSM-L

Why are Macs STILL so slow?

2006-05-10 17:52:19
Subject: Why are Macs STILL so slow?
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 16:51:55 -0500
When this thread was last active, I had discovered, thanks to a tip on
this list, that MEMORYEFFICIENTBACKUP YES was the default, and set it to
NO. That did help some.

But all our Mac clients still run extremely slowly. A WinXP box and a
Mac G4 OSX 10.3 box, both running TSM 5.3.2, are sitting side-by-side,
so they have the same network connectivity. But the WinXP machine backs
up about 15 times faster than the Mac. The wall clock time for the Mac
is about 4 hours, compared to about 10 minutes for WinXP. We added a Mac
client contaiing about 1TB of data, and it is still running its initial
full backup after a week.

What can be done to speed up the Mac TSM client?

"No one may throw an old computer across the street at their neighbor."
-- city ordinance, Warsaw, Indiana