ADSM-L

Re: Media Type on Q LIBV

2006-05-10 09:44:43
Subject: Re: Media Type on Q LIBV
From: Bob Martoncik <BMartoncik AT CO.LUCAS.OH DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 09:43:57 -0400
When you do a q libv in a Windows 5.2.4.5, the media type column does
not appear.

Bob Martoncik
Lucas County Information Services
419-213-4633

>>> rbs AT BU DOT EDU 5/10/2006 9:34:38 AM >>>
TSM5 added the Media Type column to the output of the Query LIBVolume
command. The Admin Ref manual was updated to explain the new column
as merely "The type of media". That's a sad example of lazy
documenting, which fails to serve the customer base in providing some
insight as to the origin of the data, its type (which turns out to be
a 3-digit code rather than anything humanly perceptible), and when it
will be populated (which seems to be only when a "SCSI" library is in
use, where TSM is intimate with library elements).

I've written to the Publications people about this documentation
issue, but in addition would like to compile a list of media type 3-
digit codes and the actual media they represent (e.g., DLT IV, SDLT
I, LTO 3), which I will add to the ADSM QuickFacts, to assist
everyone. So, if your Query LIBVolume output reports digits in this
column, I'd appreciate getting the numbers and descriptive media
types, which you should email directly to me:   rbs AT bu DOT edu

   thanks, Richard Sims