ADSM-L

Re: 3584 checkin/checkout

2006-05-07 21:14:58
Subject: Re: 3584 checkin/checkout
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 21:14:30 -0400
Hello Geoffrey,

If you purchase a feature call ALMS for the 3584 you get something called VIO,
Virtual i/o station.
With this feature as the operator puts carts into the i/o station the library
moves the carts two at a time into slots in the library. It assigns the tape
carts to the virtual libraries based on bar code prefix rules.
This is up to 255 carts per virtual library. Or at least my reading of the doc
says up to 255 per virtual library. I have not tested to make sure that it is
255 per virtual library and not the sum for all virtual libraries. The
application when it asks for the tapes from the i/o station the tapes are moved
from the virtual i/o station to the virtual library. This is only a paper
transaction as the tape are already in slots, unless the count exceed the max
carts in the vio. Then the real i/o station gets in the action.

The same process happens on checkout. The first tapes checked out are moved to
the real i/o station, after the i/o station fills the tapes are just moved to
vio status. When the operator empties an i/o station and closes the door, the
library moves up to an i/o station worth two at a time to the real i/o station.

I believe that IBM is trying to slowly move features of the 3494 to the 3584. I
suspect, but do not know that not all features will move, and there may be new
features.

I am thinking of asking for one new feature. With the existing web interface to
the 3584, one can see which volsers are in the real i/o station (really two i/o
stations in our box), but one can not see what is in the virtual i/o station. I
think that they should add this.

I am thinking that they should add an otherwise rules for the bar code rules.
At this time if the library can not assign a tape to a virtual library based on
the bar code. It allows any virtual library to pull it. This can happen if one
places a good barcoded tape in the i/o station with no matching barcode rule,
or if the library for any reason can not read the barcode correctly. I would
like some feature where the tape is kept in the i/o station until someone does
something with it. Or may assign it to a dummy virtual library, which could be
site defined. Maybe an snmp trap to wave a flag that there is a problem.

  len