ADSM-L

Re: 3584 checkin/checkout

2006-05-04 13:04:32
Subject: Re: 3584 checkin/checkout
From: John Monahan <JMonahan AT COMPURES DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 12:01:49 -0500
 "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/04/2006
11:24:56 AM:

> On Thu, May 04, 2006 at 10:24:14AM -0400, Jim Zajkowski wrote:
>
>    [scsi library]
> > In 5.3, you can say checkin libv waitt=0 and it will not bother to
> > generate a prompt, it will just do it.  Handy.
>
> Yeah, but when you enter this command and the library door is NOT
> closed, all you library operations will hang until the door is
> closed. So you might want to require a manual action when kicking
> off this command.
>
> (The way I solved this is to check for the "library requires manual
> attention" error. If it occurs, scream loudly. :) )
>
> --

The whole point of using scripts is so you don't have any manual tasks
*unless* something is wrong.  I would consider an open library door as
something being wrong.

Automation scripts also won't work if someone powers off the library.
Seriously, you can't expect a TSM admin to write automation scripts to
cover every possible instance of human error.  Technology can't fix
stupid.