ADSM-L

Re: Retention policy question :

2006-05-02 11:54:27
Subject: Re: Retention policy question :
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:57:06 -0700
For the purposes of discussion, I am assuming that you run incremental
backup daily.

As long as the file continues to exist on the client machine:

- FileA, which changes every day, will have the 4 most recent backup
versions available. When the next backup version is created, the oldest
one will expire. Thus in this scenario, RETEXTRA is irrelevent. Note that
the latest backup version is always the "active" version, and all other
versions are "inactive". The active file will go inactive when the next
backup version is created.

- FileB will have one and only one version that never expires. Thus in
this scenario, RETEXTRA is irrelevent. Note that this version is always
"active", and that active versions do not expire.

If the file is deleted from the client machine:

- The next time incremental backup runs, it will detect that the file has
been deleted, and the active (latest) version will be made inactive.

- For FileA, since no new versions are being created, RETEXTRA will become
relevent. All but the most recent backup version are subject to RETEXTRA,
with each expiring 30 days FROM THE TIME IT WENT INACTIVE. The most recent
backup version is subject to RETONLY (which just so happens to also be 30
days), so it will expire 30 days from the time it went inactive.

- Same for FileB, though RETEXTRA is irrelevent since there is only the
one version. That version will be subject to RETONLY, just as FileA above.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 2006-05-02
08:34:22: