ADSM-L

Re: Library full

2006-05-02 10:47:22
Subject: Re: Library full
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 09:46:52 -0500
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/02/2006
09:31:56 AM:
> I have a 3584 library that us now full to the brim. I have been trying
> to create a select statement that will let me move tapes that haven't
> been accessed in X days out of the library. Anyone have a script like
> this already? I would be happy with just identifying the tapes and
> manually moving them....

Realizing that I'm most likely preaching to the choir...

Checking tapes out thusly will come back to bite you in the ass, probably
sooner rather than later. (It'll make reclamation more difficult, both for
onsite and offsite tapes.) The safest courses of action are:

1. If you have tapes in an archive tape pool in the library, check those
out.
2. Check your reclamation. Push the reclamation threshold to 60% if
possible.
3. If you're offsiting, get more aggressive about getting those offsite
tapes out of the library ASAP.
4. Review version retention policies. Cutting your default management
class retention by even one version can often make a dramatic difference
in what the library has to hold.
5. Clean out old filesystems that are no longer being backed up.

Checking out primary tape pool volumes is a poor last choice for this
problem. Number 4 above can be particularly effective when you go to
management and tell them that the only real alternative is to buy another
frame for the 3584. (Can you say "cha-ching!"?)

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
US Bank MR Backup and Recovery Management