ADSM-L

Re: Domino TDP and MountWait parm

2006-05-01 16:04:12
Subject: Re: Domino TDP and MountWait parm
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 16:03:42 -0400
Thanks for the reply.

You are saying exactly what I said/read and felt. We did go through IBM
and Notes support and they couldn't come up with anything tangible to
explain the hangs.

People were constantly complaining about the slow-downs/hangs. When we
tracked them for a while, we noticed they always occured during the
archlog dumps being performed, every 2-hours.

I think IBM was the one who suggested the MOUNTWAIT parm (the Domino
person handled this).  I told them that none of the management classes go
straight to tape. *ALL* backups (logs, daily, weekly) go to disk, first,
and this parm shouldn't make any difference.

When we added the MOUNTWAIT=NO, the complaints stopped and our monitoring
showed no more "seizures".

I too realize it doesn't make sense but it did make a noticible
difference.

Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
05/01/2006 03:37 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Domino TDP and MountWait parm

Hi Zoltan,

The "/MOUNTWAIT=NO" says that if the backups need
to be stored on offline media that would require a
tape mount, then don't proceed with the operation.

If what you say is correct... and all log backups are going
to disk and not tape, using the "/MOUNTWAIT=NO" parameter
should have absolutely no effect. I have a feeling that the
"accident and experimentation" are probably more of a
"coincidence"... but you never know.
I would recommend placing a call with the IBM Support Team
so they can help you can get this sorted out.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 05/01/2006
01:42:22 PM: